Saturday, November 14, 2009

Another Look at the Jehovah's Witnesses

Chances are, the vast majority of us know about the mission's efforts of the Jehovah's Witnesses. Some of us may have even had Jehovah's Witnesses come by, trying to convert us to their beliefs. I remember a couple summers ago, we had a couple Jehovah's Witnesses come by my home, and I actually didn't realize that they were Jehovah's Witnesses until I recognized the Watchtower logo on one of the magazines they had in their bag. But, I don't think that a lot of us are fully aware of what they believe, and the autocracy that the Watchtower Bible & Tract Society holds over the lives of the members. I encourage you to watch this series of videos if interested.















"Now, actually, concerning false prophecy, we read "And if you say in your heart, 'How may we know the word that the LORD has not spoken?'—when a prophet speaks in the name of the LORD, if the word does not come to pass or come true, that is a word that the LORD has not spoken; the prophet has spoken it presumptuously. You need not be afraid of him." (Deuteronomy 18:21-22)

1 comment:

  1. Your quotation of Deuteronomy 18:21-22 is very good. I have used this in my own book with a chapter on how to know a prophet (there is a link to it in my blog if you are intersted). Several churches believe in their own prophets, such as the Mormons and the Seventh-Day Adventists, but I have not found proof that their prophets could predict anything. Interestingly, I also have a chapter about the name of God showing that Jehovah's Witnesses are wrong about that and about their belief that Jesus Christ is not God and did not exist for all past eternity.

    It is fairly easy to prove from the Bible that many beliefs of Jehovah's Witnesses are wrong. They problem is, they don't believe the Bible. Like too many people, they believe their traditions.

    I corresponded with one lady raised in a Jehovah's Witness background and she challenged me to do a Bible study on the subject of God's name. I spent a lot of time with it, then emailed to her proof that she was wrong, but she never responded to my study. But all was not wasted. I turned it into a chapter.

    ReplyDelete